The content of the article
Sibutramine is not considered a drug - just a potent substance, the use of which requires mandatory medical supervision. It is prescribed exclusively to those who are not helped by other weight correction measures. It was assumed that he, like all normalizing weight drugs, will help reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases among those who like to “have a bite to eat”, and at first he even gave the desired result. However, with long-term use, its effect on the work of the heart and blood vessels turned out to be worse than atherosclerosis itself, which caused the need to limit the use of Reduxin.
The work of the central nervous system is based on the generation and transmission of electrical impulses from one neuron to another through processes of different lengths and branching - dendrites and axons. Neurotransmitters help to transmit such impulses - mediating substances that facilitate or inhibit the passage of a signal, as well as preserve for some time the path it has passed (so that the “answer” of the cortex can go the same way the question came from). They accumulate in the nerve cells in order to free themselves into the space between them when the signal passes through this section.
Temporary bridges that mark the path of a specific signal are called synapses. A significant part of the hormones, including serotonin and norepinephrine, belongs to the neurotransmitters. These two substances can be re-captured — first released to create a synapse with the tip of a nerve cell that transmits a signal to its “neighbor”, and then re-absorbed into it. Sibutramine is an inhibitor of norepinephrine and serotonin reuptake. It prevents their absorption into the process of the nerve cell after neurotransmitters have already emerged from it and created a synaptic connection.
Forms of release
Sibutramine is not only part of Reduxin, but also:
- The Green Bomb;
Reduxin also has “intraspecific” variations - a common way of evading drug-free restrictions on selling without a prescription. The “official” version of it is called Reduxin and is sold in packs of ten capsules, at a dosage of 10 mg (blue capsules) or 15 mg (blue capsules). But besides her, there are also Reduxin Light and Reduxin Met.
- Redux Light. It is registered as a dietary supplement (not considered a medicine), does not contain sibutramine and is sold without a prescription. The similarity of its name with anorexigen "Reduxine" is an advertising move by the manufacturer. Reduxin Light is based on one of the isomers of linoleic acid, which has an antitumor effect, but does not affect the recruitment / reduction of fat or muscle mass (proven by a number of independent studies in the United States). And the positive reviews of Redux Light are explained either by the placebo effect or by the same advertisement.
- Reduxin Met. Mixed product, each package of which contains 30 capsules of sibutramine at a dosage of 15 mg and 60 tablets of metformin at 850 mg. Metformin is an antidiabetic drug - biguanide (a derivative of guanidine - a component of the milk goat's bastard), which blocks the synthesis of glucose in the liver. It is used separately, in the prediabetes stage and in diabetes mellitus, in combination with insulin compensation. Both components of the tool should be taken simultaneously. Reduxine Met is nephrotoxic and hepatotoxic due to the presence of metformin, therefore it is sold only by prescription.
Speaking about which “Reduxin” is more effective for losing weight, we can only summarize: “Reduxine Light” does not have any weight-reducing effect. And the use of Reduxine Met for weight loss is important if weight gain leads to an increase in insulin resistance and / or sugar level in the patient’s blood.
Sibutramine has been developed from the very beginning as an antidepressant. Then he became one of many drugs reoriented to the treatment of very different diseases, including "helping" the diet. Until 2008, Reduxin was administered from:
- — переедания, вызванного психогенными травмами, антипода анорексии; bulimia - overeating caused by psychogenic injuries, anorexia antipode;
- — которая часто сопровождается тягой к перееданию из-за наличия прочной рефлекторной взаимосвязи между насыщением и чувством комфорта, благополучия; depression - which is often accompanied by overeating because of the presence of a strong reflex relationship between saturation and a sense of comfort, well-being;
- — всех его случаев, включая те, что возникают при гормональном сбое временного характера (беременность, послеродовые изменения фона у женщин, климакс у обоих полов), а также эндокринных патологиях наподобие сахарного диабета; obesity - all of its cases, including those that occur with a hormonal failure of a temporary nature (pregnancy, postpartum background changes in women, menopause in both sexes), as well as endocrine pathologies like diabetes mellitus;
- — сравнительно редкого нарушения, которое выражается в пониженном артериальном давлении вместо типичного для большинства повышенного АД; hypotension - a relatively rare violation, which is expressed in low blood pressure instead of the typical for most high blood pressure;
- — атеросклероза и его осложнений в виде гипертонии, ишемической болезни сердца, инфаркта и инсульта. Cardiovascular diseases - atherosclerosis and its complications in the form of hypertension, coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke.
Sibutramine interferes noticeably with the central nervous system. This property - its main harm in certain pathologies, accompanied by a set of extra pounds. Bulimia and depression, as mental pathologies with a physiological “continuation”, were one of the first to disappear from the list of prescription of the drug, switching to contraindications. “Reduxin” turned out to be a poor antidepressant due to pronounced “recoil” in insomnia, anxiety increase, suicidal thoughts after a period of serotonin euphoria caused by its intake.
Among the ways of obesity, under which its use is permissible, everything except for overeating was “eliminated”. The increase in Reduxin blood flow velocity, vascular tone, heart rate and body temperature was perceived at first as a positive feature that promotes the absorption of glucose from food and weight loss. But it turned out that his long-term use also accelerates the deterioration of the cardiovascular system and the development of atherosclerosis, brings complications. An overdose of Reduxine can cause arrhythmia and cardiac arrest.
Such damage to the heart and blood vessels is comparable to the long-term effects of atherosclerosis, although initially stimulating their activity suggested a decrease in its rate. Currently, the reception of "Reduxine" is contraindicated in the following conditions.
- With gallstone disease. Due to their increased tone and peristalsis of all organs of the central nervous system, including the gallbladder. The use of "Reduxin" with gallstones can cause their displacement.
- With pathologies of the liver and kidneys. With their obesity, cirrhosis, hepatitis, urolithiasis, nephritis, renal failure. Cleavage and absorption of sibutramine, like other drugs, is carried out mainly by the liver, and its excretion - by the kidneys. The accumulation of its metabolites in the blood can lead to inadequately strong "acceleration" of the central nervous system with its equally pronounced subsequent inhibition.
- With organic obesity. For example, provoked by diabetes mellitus, hypothyroidism (a decrease in thyroxin and triiodothyronine production by the thyroid gland).
- With neurological disorders. In Tourette syndrome, tic, neurasthenia.
- In combination with mental illness. For example, with paranoia, manic-depressive psychosis.
- With epilepsy and schizophrenia. By origin, they are closer to neurological disorders, but directly affect the psyche, and therefore more studied in psychiatry. In the practice of “Reduxine” therapy, one case was recorded when it led to the development of psychosis in a patient with schizoaffective disorder.
- With advanced atherosclerosis. Signs of which are hypertension, coronary heart disease, stroke and myocardial infarction.
- With pathologies of the heart and blood vessels. For heart defects, arrhythmias, varicose veins and deep vein thrombosis. "Reduxin" narrows blood vessels and can lead to heart rhythm disturbances, because its reception in the presence of blood clots may result in the blockage of vessels of different diameters by them.
- With glaucoma. Due to increased arterial and capillary pressure during treatment with sibutramine.
- With prostate adenoma. As well as with precancer, cancer, endometriosis, ovarian cysts and fibromyoma. The activation of blood circulation in such tumors provoked by the drug can activate their growth and malignancy (becoming cancer).
- During pregnancy. And breastfeeding. Losing weight when planning a pregnancy, in general, is a dubious idea. For conception and successful childbearing, a woman needs a stable estrogen background, and the accumulation and metabolism of female sex hormones occurs in the fat cells of the body. This means that before conceiving a woman is wiser to gain a few extra pounds than to throw them.
Reduxine is also not recommended for children and adolescents, the elderly, especially those with senile dementia or Alzheimer's disease. It is not suitable for the prevention of obesity or other diseases, and is strictly prohibited for use in alcoholism and / or drug addiction. The simultaneous use of sibutramine with alcohol does not affect the dynamics of alcohol intoxication or hangover. But this incompatibility applies to all antidepressants, antipsychotics and drugs that regulate the central nervous system.
The list of side effects of Reduxin is no less than the list of its contraindications. The drug can provoke:
- sleep disorders;
- dry mouth;
- unreasonable anxiety, nervousness;
- suicidal thoughts;
- cramping of the limbs;
- changes in taste perception;
- back pain;
- increased sweating and hot flashes;
- hypertension, up to the crisis;
- acceleration of heart rate and contractions of the heart;
- loss of appetite, up to anorexia;
- acute constipation;
- nausea and vomiting;
- increased hemorrhoidal bleeding.
Instructions for use "Reduxine"
Drinking "Reduxin" for weight loss should be once a day, before meals or after. Taking any medication after a meal is more preferable because of its irritant effect on the digestive tract and the risk of developing gastritis during fasting. The daily dosage of Reduxin tablets is individual and can be adjusted according to the response of the body to therapy. Obesity treatment regimens are as follows.
- Standard. Most often, patients are prescribed 10 g of sibutramine per day.
- Poor tolerability. With the appearance of side effects or general deterioration of health, the dosage is allowed to be reduced to 5 g per day, and transfer the patient to receive the funds only after meals.
- Low performance. If the patient loses on Reduxin less than 5% of the current weight per month, the dose is increased to 15 mg per day. Officially, this is the limit of the allowable daily dose of the drug. And if the speed of losing weight still leaves much to be desired, it is wiser to cancel it than to increase the dosage further.
The use of Reduxin should also be discontinued if, after a period of weight loss, the patient began to recruit him (that is, with continued use of the drug).
Reduxin has few safer analogues. Among the "candidates" with a clear composition and principle of action, the following means can be distinguished.
- Orlistat The active substance in the composition of "Orsotena" with the same low efficiency as that of "Reduxin" (5% of the total body weight per month is a bit). Orlistat blocks the digestion and absorption of vegetable and animal fats from food. It can be an effective means of controlling diet and weight among lovers of fatty, especially foods rich in hybrid fats — made on the basis of a spread or margarine (shortbread, puffs, other factory-made pastries).
- Metformin. The same as in the “Reduxin Met”. It is sold separately under the names "Siofor", "Glucophage". Its effect on weight loss is significantly higher than that of sibutramine or orlistat, due to its inhibition of glucose synthesis in the liver. For diabetics, it helps control blood sugar levels, and for slimmers, the amount of carbohydrates absorbed by the body from food. Its only drawback is a side effect on several organs of the digestive tract, including the liver, which rarely disappears after its abolition.
- Unassimilated fillers. Cellulose or means called "Portiola". Plant fiber is not digested and not absorbed - because the intestine and seeks to bring it as soon as possible, which leads to the normalization of the chair. When taken with food, it takes up part of the volume of the stomach and intestines, accelerating saturation at its own zero calorie content. Its reception is prohibited in gastritis, duodenitis and peptic ulcer due to the high irritating properties. A "Portiola" consists of the same indigestible gelling agent - polyacrylic acid carbomer. The principle of its action is similar to fiber. Reception "Porciola" allows you to not overeat and does not irritate the foci of inflammation / ulceration, if any. But this drug also has laxative properties, causes increased flatulence and dysbiosis with prolonged use. Although both side effects are reversible immediately after the withdrawal of funds.
The lack of licensed and effective means for losing weight on the market is explained by the fact that there are no such drugs without side effects. And they are all created for cases where the benefits of their direct action outweigh the potential harm. The desire to improve your figure and weight indicators, if they are not catastrophic, not from this number. The optimal method in such situations is the equalization of the daily caloric intake with the consumption of incoming carbohydrates. And taking this pill "Reduxin" for weight loss, or any drug with a similar effect, medicine considers rash.